Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Treyson's Reaction


hated the IV's in my arms, the doctors,and hospital in general.

1st Family Photo
Mauling his sister.
Perhaps the most difficult part of bringing home twins is the reaction of the fair haired favorite. It's been so hard for me. I feel awful for taking the attention away from him and Treyson's reactions are not making it easier.

First of all, he LOVES the babies. Everytime he walks in the room he says "HI BABIES!" in this adorable high pitched, sweet, voice. He loves to tickle them, sing to them, turn on their bouncers/swings/ toys (running the batteries down...) and kiss them. I am so grateful. We are constantly saying "BE GENTLE!" of course.
Treyson's reaction towards me? PURE HATRED. He bites me, hits me, spits on me (someone tell me WHERE he learned this?!) and ONLY wants daddy or Mimi. It absolutely breaks my heart. Like want to die breaks my heart....but I know it's only temporary and someday we'll go back to being best friends. I try so hard to focus attention on him and find time daily to do things with him. He still loves me - he tells me, but he's having a hard time. Sigh.

10 educated comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Aw, little Trey. It's pretty safe to say...whether you had one or had 3 new babies...now...or in 2 years, it would be similar reaction. so, might as well get it out of the way now. At least you know it's normal and most kids go through this. I'm sorry girl. It would break my heart to think of Colton like that too. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better and better...

Teryn said...

I'm sorry :( He will get over it eventually (as you stated).... I'm sure that the hardest part is dealing with his reaction AND post pardem hormones, exhaustion, and 2 new babies. Claira didn't give me a reaction like that but I was STILL bawling at little things.. like the way she "looked" at me looked like she was sad and missed me and I had a major break down. It felt good to have a good, hard cry. hang in there! I promise eventually this will become his "new normal" and he won't even remember life pre-little sisters :)

Jessica said...

This too, shall pass.I'm sorry though! I'm sure it will get better.

I'm so glad he loves his little sisters so much and of course he loves you, it'll just take a bit to adjust to the change. It's great you have family around to help!

Dedre said...

ohh so cute! Such a fun time. It's hard with the the "old" baby of the house. Jill had a hard time too. With having a hard time getting pregnant with the twins, I reallly babied Jill. So it was kind of my fault she struggled with being booted out of the baby spot. thankfully kids soon forget what life without the babies was like. And all is well again.

anyways...Enjoy the new found whirlwind in your life :) It's a doozie!

BriANDaleen said...

That makes me happy and sad! I so worry about Landen's reaction to a new baby, which I'm sure will be very similar to Treysons! Oh hang in there...poor exhausted mama!

Megan and Mike said...

ahhh thats hard, im glad he loves the girls though, thats good. he has to love you, your the mom ha! so glad you had time to blog, i dont know how you had time... but i have been waiting!!!

Heidi said...

If it's any consolation, (it probably isn't) Jackson was the exact same way when we had Bennett. He was so sweet and gentle with the baby and treated me like dirt. It was a really rough go. He stopped sleeping well, started throwing insane tantrums, and got so physical with me (hitting, spitting etc). My in laws all came for a visit not long after he was born and I was so embarassed by his behavior. But it was only a few weeks before he got used the idea and it became the new normal. My advice would be to try to be as consistent as possible in other aspects. Bed time, familiar snacks and toys, go to places you normally do. It's hard for a little one to understand their role in a world that has changed so much!

Good luck! The girls are adorable, and of course, so is Trey!

Cathy said...

HEART BREAK. That was the hardest part for me. In fact, I would just look at Tofer and cry. Ugh. I feel for you. Since Charlie is only 2 months old, we're not totally over the hump, but after a few weeks Tofer just sort of got used to it. His reaction was more frustration in general. He now hits and spits and throws tantrums (all things that he didn't do before). He still does those things but they aren't directed towards anyone now, just in general to everyone when things happen he doesn't like. Ha.

Thankfully, I don't see that sad look on his face anymore or just hte kind of disturbed aura. He seems like his old self with some new lovely habits :) But yes, just thinking about it makes my throat hurt.

I have a little babysitter that he loves come once a week to play with him for an hour, since I haven't been getting out as much. They go outside and run around. That makes him happy and has seemed to help. Then just trying to make his life seem normal. I still help him go to bed and rock him if he wants it and the other day, he saw me holdign the baby in the bjorn and hated it so I took him out and then he wanted to get in. HAHA. so I carried a 3o pound two year old in the bjorn for a while. He seeemd satisfied after a few minutes. Just little funny things like that. I'm sure you are doing the same. He'll be ok. It just sucks so much. The sadness is pitiful. I hated it.

Liz said...

so wish we could have seen you and the kiddos! i am loving all of the pictures. i know it's hard now, but i had similar feelings when miles is born. watching them together now i realize that there is no other relationship that can replace a sibling. miles and calvin give each other things that travis nor me can. the best thing parents can give a child is a sibling! (hope that helps a little)

The 'Ssippi Scoop said...

I wish I had found you earlier. I'm telling you I could be writing this. Bailey treated me the same way. It has crushed me.