Trevor was obviously very concerned about the pain I was in.
I have barely any time on my hands at this point...for obvious reasons, but want to try my best to document the twins' lives as well as Treyson's. Forgive me if this blog turns out a lot less.
The twins were born on Monday at 2pm and 2:05 pm. Oakley June came first, weighing 6lb 3 oz, 19 3/4 in and was followed by Reagan Anna, 6lbs 9 oz, 20 1/4 in. They are perfect. Here is their birth story - which, was relatively boring. THANK GOODNESS!
Sunday night was honestly, the most difficult night of my entire life. I didn't sleep a wink. I just felt SO much fear, I spent the whole night awake, and praying my guts out. I didn't like the idea of being induced, I didn't like the idea of keeping them in. I felt horrible guilt for what I was springing on Treyson. I was scared of the pain. Scared something would go wrong. I just felt horrible. I received a Priesthood Blessing from my father and Trevor and felt a little more peace, but still weary.
I almost backed out of the 6am inducement. In fact, we were an hour late. Upon arrival, I was checked (1 cm dialated....I swear, my cervix IS steel) and hooked up to the Pit at 8am. My water was broken around 10am. I really struggled this time knowing what was the "right" time to get the epidural. With Treyson, I waited too long and at 9cm, felt EVERYTHING. This time, I wanted the full effect - but I also knew it might slow things down and I did NOT want a long, horrible, Pitocin-driven labor. I let myself get nice and painful and around 5cm, asked for the epidural around noon. With Treyson, I did not feel a pinch when the epidural was put in because I was in so much pain. This time, I felt it all and though, not really "painful" it was a freaky feeling of which I could really do without ever feeling again.
Good thing I got things done when I did! My cervix is steel, but my body progresses AMAZINGLY fast. An hour later, I was a full 10cm. Once again, no one could believe it - except me who felt Oakley coming in fast. They wheeled me to the OR (all twins are delivered in an OR in case of an emergency C section). I started shaking uncontrollably - possibly from transition or possible because I was SO scared.
The OR had about 6 nurses (2 were my nurses, 2 for babies, and 2 from NICU), 2 doctors, a resident, and some random guy handing scalpels. Heck, Obama could have been in that room and I wouldn't have known it. I was very grateful for the opportunity to shove my feet in stirrups and let half the hospital see my goods. The new doctor actually shook my hand while I lay in this position. I remember saying something to him along the lines of, "well, this is an awkward way to meet."
Oakley came out in 4 pushes. She was easy. She screamed immediately. The strange thing about twins is that they take the baby and check her thoroughly right away. You feel that concern and worry, wanting to know what's going on, BUT then you remember you still have another kid and you still have to get her out. The "extra" doctor was manipulating my uterus from the outside, trying to prevent Reagan from flipping. If she flipped and went transverse or breech, we would have to have surgery. I'd be damned if anyone but a plastic surgeon cut my stomach open.
Reagans heartbeat started to slow down. The doctors tried to speak secret doctor language, but I understood and knew that baby had to get out fast. 2 pushes later, she was out. She was a little slower to react, but was fine.
You think having ONE baby is emotionally overwhelming, try having TWO at ONCE. I have never felt so much fear, anticipation, happiness, joy, psychotic hormonal breakdown in my life. SUCH a tough 9 months. SUCH a happy end to it. We went home from the hospital 24 hours later. Can you believe that?
Trevor and I still revel in the blessings we have received. Who has such an "easy" twin pregnancy with two perfect babies? We don't take it for granted and there isn't a night that goes by we don't thank our Heavenly Father. Yes, it's hard now. So hard.
But honestly, I can't help but smile even at 3am, rocking 2 screaming babies feeling the horrible uterine contractions. Watching the milk spill onto my still 6 month pregnant stomach. Oh, wait, you didn't know I was having triplets????
Trevor choose Oakleys middle name. Originally it was "jade" but that had a stripper ring to it so he chose "June" instead. Which I adore because I think she looks like a little bug with her huge eyes. June Bug. Reagan's middle name is after my best friend, my great grandma Anna Hamm. She is a Lithuanian spitfire who recently, at 94, is beginning to show some mental deterioration.
The girls couldn't look more different. Oakley is TINY and delicate with big lips and big eyes. Reagan looks more fat with a little mouth and slightly droopy eyes (Trevor). Reagans hair is more blonde, Oakley's more brown - but we'll see! Oakley is crazy, always awake, always wanting to eat and active. Reagan is more like Treyson was. Sleepy, laid back and a beast to get to eat.
18 educated comments:
look at me.. first to comment :) yay! I have been WAITING for this post.. I'm surprised you got it up so soon.. I mean, having twins, a 2 year old, a husband who doesn't get "paternal leave" from work, and MOVING.. who are you woman! amazing, I tell you! I seriously cannot imagine pushing 2 babies out? that is craziness right there! thank you for sharing and it sounds like you were made to push those babies out! a total of 6 pushes for both of them?! I'm so glad to hear you are happy! they are both adorable and you are my hero! Hugs to you and best wishes!
You have no idea how many times I've checked your blog waiting to hear your story! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly, especially since the girls are making up for it now by keeping you up all the time! Good luck with the move and can't wait to see pics of the new house when you get a minute:). Hang in there!
HOORAY for the birth story! Way to go. I loved it. I'm so glad everything worked out with the induction, and PERFECT timing for the epidural. You deserved it after all you've been through.
I can't imagine the exhaustion you are going through, all combined with emotions and gratitude. It's a funny combo of feelings. You probably just find yourself crying a lot. Both happy and sad. haha.
You rock girl! 1st week of newborn stage DONE.
Congratulations!! They are beautiful!! It has been torture for me waiting for you to post details and pictures. I've been like a stalker checking everyday. I'm so happy for you. It seems like everything is perfect and that is amazing that you had such a great labor and delivery. I can't even image twins with a 2 year old. You are amazing. It does get easier in about 3 years... :)
so.happy.things.went and are.well! congratulations again!! wish i lived closer to help. remember...you are one helluvah strong woman, made it through 9 excruciating months, and can do anything now! keep on keeping on. love you.
and i just love oakleys yawn in that bottom picture!
I'm so happy to hear all of this! What a wonderful story. Those girls are perfect. I can't believe you did all this AND went home so quickly with TWO healthy, beautiful GIRLS. I'm sure you amazed those doctors.
Thanks for sharing!
I love the names! Congrats!
PS You are seriously the HOTTEST MOM ever!!! You look great!
isn't it AMAZING how big your stomach gets.
It does kind of take a bit longer for it to go down. But by 4 weeks it will be nearly flat again! No worries!
and wow...you look like a BJIllion times better pre-deliver than I did. You officially suck! :)
Taryn and I were like you and Trevor..shocked at how wonderfully smooth our twin pregnancy went. Even through delivery. Blessed it right! I still am soo thankful!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! They are SOOOOOO cute! So glad to hear that you had a fairly smooth labor and delivery! I LOVE the names, thanks for sharing the story...it was great!
Loved the story and glad it all worked out so well!
Funny thing, when you said you started shaking before delivery....... So did I! I couldn't stop... I thought I was cold but after the delivery I was shaking worse. I couldn't hold the babies to nurse. Then I threw up, lovely, I know. I guess it was all just to much. Then I was up for the next 27 hours cause I just couldn't fall asleep! To much anxiety. Must have been with the shaking too.
I didn't have that many people in my delivery, I guess you felt like it was a full house. I love what you said when the doc shook your hand.
They are so precious and i'm sure you are loving on them. Sometimes, just sometimes, I even enjoy when they cry cause they are so cute and sweet.
Good luck with the move and re-cooperating. I'm dying to hear if you are nursing or trying and how that is all going... did you get a pillow?
I'm amazed at how smoothly it all happened! Congratulations, twins really are the best. :)
i am so so so grateful and happy you had a great delievery with no complications. i have been dying to hear your story (i pay very close attention to them since i will be having my own story in september). your girls are so cute and i hope you get to find time for a little rest in between!
ahhhhh....i loved reading this! they are precious and now i wish even more we could've stopped to see you!!
Oh I've been waiting for this!!!! They are gorgeous, I love their names and I am so so so happy that everything went well! And, I seriously can't believe you look so amazing. I am sticking with my opinion that a pregnancy magazine should have you as their model - pregnancy, labor, post-labor, and mom. It's incredible. How do you never look exhausted??
How did I not know you were back to blogging? Loved all of it. So happy for you. I bet it is a "let's laugh instead of cry," household many-a-moments, but you're right-- you are totally blessed. Even more, your children are blessed to have such an amazing mom. (I'm sure Trevor's great, just never met the man).
What a beautiful family!!
I wonder what Treyson will be like when the twins are 3 months old. That's when I felt a really good turning point with Kyle. Good luck!
Congratulations on your beautiful family, I started following when your blog was public before the twins were born. If you ever go private again, I'd love to follow :) My SIL has a 3 year old and twin boys and another wonderful friend has a 4 year old and 1 year old twins...so I can relate in that way to your story. Congrats again and thanks for blogging!
oh my gosh you looked so good! I'm not kidding, i gained weight EVERYWHERE and i just had one ordinarily sized child. man, you look so unswollen and happy. congrats mama, how fun to have two little ladies to dress up too. enjoy those (now three) little ones! :)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS
Post a Comment