Thursday, August 19, 2010

Act Don't Ask

I learned a lesson today. I wanted to share it.

I have had a million people call me and ask if they could do anything for us.
I REALLY do appreciate it and it has been amazing, but I tell them no because there is really NOTHING we NEED.(I do; however tell them we will need LOTS of things come March!)
Then, tonight, someone showed up at my door with a HUGE meal.
Even though, I couldn't keep it down, it was such a relief.
We didn't NEED a meal. Trevor and Trey are fine with frozen foods for awhile. I am fine with saltines and watermelon. But, it made us feel so loved. It was more than the food.

I was so impressed that this person ACTED instead of ASKED.
I WANT to be more like that.

4 educated comments:

Teryn said...

I completely agree with this! We are moving, I am trying to do this with a 4 year old and a 2 month old.. not easy. Everyone says,"let me know if we can help.".. the end. I feel bad asking people for help, maybe I'm just too prideful, but I just won't do it. However if someone shows up on my doorstep with sleeves rolled up and wanting to help (like my mother-in-law did).. I would be ever so grateful! So, I want to be like your friend too! Act Don't Ask.. love it :)

Mrs. Ponder said...

Such great advice. I'm terrible about thinking of WHAT to do. I don't ever need anything so I can't think of what to do. But I've had wonderful examples: Like my friend who heard my puppy was hit by a car and killed. She came over with a little white satin pillow she sewed up so that the kids would have something to bury her in. SO thoughtful. I would have never thought of that. I'm so grateful for the family who acted. And grateful too, for those like me, who ask because they can't think of what to do.

Ms. Green Eyes said...

That was so nice. I'm glad you guys got a yummy meal.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I gained 40 lbs with Scarlett. I got it all off. You will be able to get your body back. But you and I are very similar in this aspect. I hate what pregnancy did to my body and I am so not looking forward to it happening again.

Danny and Shalayne said...

true true. We had a talk on this at church today and it was very motivating. I want to be like this too.