A LOT of people ask me how I feel about having twins in between their "glad it's you and not me" snickers. So, if you're curious.
To be honest, I'm not one of those women who feels incredibly close to their babies in utero. I don't think it hit me I was having a child till Treyson was lying on my chest after his birth. I feel the same way with the twins. Despite the pain I go through daily, I just feel like it's surreal. Like, there's not REALLY two babies inside of me.
BUT, there is. And we're grateful.
Even excited some times!
As each day goes by, closer to Dday (which, who knows when it REALLY is), I find myself more and more terrified. I know a lot of my friends are pregnant with second babies. That's scary to think of going from one to two.
One to three? inconceivable.
Yes, I am terrified. I lay in bed last night at 3am in tears, wondering how I will possibly nurse/burp/change two babies while still giving Treyson the attention he deserves. I know kids are resilient and he will be better off with siblings; however, if I were him, I'd be mad. and sad. and confused. Who springs two newborns on their only, eldest child? Millions of worries plague my once bleached head (and the bleach returns in a couple weeks for those my blonde loyal friends).
Yet, I know.....no matter how stretched my skin gets, how bad my back/hip/crotch/stomach hurts, how little I sleep, how deprived for attention my children/husband get......somehow, we will get through it. I know, with a lot of help from Heavenly Father and a little Prozac, I can do anything.
Right?
I guess I'll be putting to test the "You're never given more than you can handle" idea.
And now, I'm going to go watch "Teen Mom"
Because that show makes me feel a little better about my abilities.
And, if you think I had anything to do with that wallpaper or swag, you are WRONG.
19 educated comments:
dallas has had two different dreams this week that i was pregnant with twins. scary but secretly i think it would be so much fun. growing up i always thought it would be so cool to be a twin. so lucky for your little girls to have each other they'll be the best of friends forever!
Proud of you!
i didn't even think that was you!!! and i've gotta say i kind of like you brunette :) i know you'll always be a die hard blonde, but i honestly think you could work it.
you'll definitely have babies coming out of your ears, but i know you can do it. you have a great support system & that whole town is obsessed with you and your family, use that to your advantage and LET people help you!
hope you're well!
You look adorable! Look at you! I'm coming out. I'll play with Treyson and you rock the girls. Deal?
I think the majority of people would LOVE to have twins (maybe not be pregnant with them, but have them...yes), so whether they admit it or not, I think that's the truth. You look great, you'll do great, and somehow our boys and my #2 and your #2 & #3 will all get the attention and love they deserve.
Ummm I LOVE that darker hair on you! Who would've thought?! You know you can do it, and you know you've got reinforcements on call whenever you need.
I totally know how you feel. It was all so surreal for me too. Even while they spent that first week in the NICU I felt like I was living in a dream. I remember being so intimidated to bring them home. But now that the first year has come and past, neither Marcus nor I have any recollection of what we did to survive... somehow the Lord earsed all the craziness from our memories. Seriously, people ask me questions about back then and my mind goes blank. So I'm sure He'll do that times three for you, Trevor, and Treyson. And then you'll wonder what you ever did without twins in your life. They are the best! And you do look extremely cute! My face was twice the size of yours at 30 weeks.
Through my life experience, this is what I've learned... You never know exactly how you will feel, react, handle a situation until it happens to you. This I believe to be 100% true. In the example of bringing children into your life: I thought I was completely prepared for all aspects of bringing another child into my home. I knew I would be tired, I knew I would have to juggle my time between 2 children, I knew Claira would have to adjust, I knew it all.. right? Well, then it happens and some things were as I expected but the grand majority of it was just something I had to experience to fully understand and know exactly how it "felt". Some of it was REALLY hard.. other parts that I had anticipated being really hard weren't as hard as I thought, etc. But some of the simplest things seemed to bring me to tears.. perhaps bc I hadn't expected them to be that hard? not sure. So, I don't even pretend to know what you will go through brining twins into your life.. I imagine there will be a lot of adjusting for your whole family. But, the beautiful thing about it all is that at some point (and I believe this point to be different for everyone) this new life with 1 boy and 2 twin girls will become your new "normal" and you will definitely be well equiped to deal with it.. heck, even enjoy it ;) Big hugs to you!!
I can't believe how good you look!
andrea, you look adorable and you can totally do this!
haha I WAS curious about the wall paper and swag. Good to know. and YES, I watch Teen Mom all the time so I can feel wayyyyy good about myself. After I watch I'm always really stressed and mad at Mike, then I have to realize he didn't do anything wrong, it was just the idiot boys in the show. haha.
I bet you'll get lots of help from family. Don't be afraid to ask for help!
I had to stop watching Teen Mom because I would cry and feel sick to my stomach after each episode. I guess I got a little too close to the babies. I just feel so BAD for them!
And I'm having a hard time feeling bad for you since you look so dang skinny with 2 babies in you, but I'm sure I'm a nice person who wants to sympathize deep down inside.
When I look back at Matthew being in the hospital for over 7 weeks I think, How the heck did we do that? But when we were in the moment we just did it. Does that mean it was easy no? Or that I didn't ever break down, NO! But You'll be amazed what you can accomplish!! I know 7 weeks in the NICU can't compare to twins but you'll do more then you think you can. I know you guys will do great! Plus Mom's are always a bonus!
P.S. I agree with the brunette thing. Although I too will always be a blonde at heart. I dream about going back to blonde. I have people tell me all the time they like me better with darker hair but I just can't let go of my blonde upbringing. I do love how much time I save not sitting in that dang chair and the mega bucks I have saved doesn't hurt either. It's a fun change for now but I'll go back one day. Who knows you may enjoy the change too. But if not, I totally understand. Even though you do look great either way!
You look great! I never knew (or know) how to take the 'glad it's you not me' comments. It really bothered me at first because these were my children they were talking about. What was I supposed to say back? "Oh, you have a child with glasses? Glad it's you and not me!" It was weird. Now, I honestly pity those people. They'll probably never know what it's like to be the parent of two precious babies who share such a special bond that no one else can comprehend. They'll never see their daughters (or sons) discover each other for the first time or watch as the become best friends. There are so many amazing moments with twins and I'm just starting to see some of them. My girls will giggle and talk back and forth to each other in their crib every morning and sometimes I just listen and cry. It's the most amazing thing. Like I said, I feel bad for the negative Nancy's because they have no idea what they're missing.
Aaaaannnnnndddddd that's the second super long comment of the night. :/
Andrea - I LOVE your blog. Is nothing but honest. Thank you. P.S. you're going to do awesome. I can just feel it.
you are honestly all belly. you are so skinny everywhere else!! you look fantastic!
holy cow! I could have written this but none of thus hit me until babies were here. I was in complete denial. When did allow myself to think about it I cried for Bailey, too!
and I too watch teen mom to make myself feel better,sorry, I know!
Post a Comment