And adventure it was. As much as I would love to show you all the fabulous pictures we took, my ever responsible husband LOST, yes lost, our camera on our LAST day. He went to see some old friends without me and left it in a taxi. Needless to say, we were both upset and Juan Carlos now has the pimpest camera in Guayaquil, Ecuador.
I won't give a complete boring run down on our trip, but here are a few highlights. For those of you who don't know, Trevor served a two year mission for the LDS church in the country of Ecuador. He really wanted to go back and take me, so hence the reason for traveling there.
This trip was the most eye opening experience for me ever. I've always heard about the status of third world countries, but seeing it was a completely different tale. The people there are truly the most kind, friendly amazing people ever. The living conditions for most are bare.
I have a newfound respect for my husband. I barely lasted 2 weeks in Ecuador. I wanted food other than beans and rice, air conditioning and flushable toilet paper. He never stopped smiling. I can not fathom how my (and some of your husbands/friends) can live such a foreign lifestyle for TWO years. Trevors work ethic and optimism is something I can only dream of achieving.
Here are some pics found online (sadly) of some typical Ecuadorian shots. 

Interesting Facts:
1) No one follows any traffic laws in Ecuador. We went through endless red lights in taxi or bus. No one stays in their lane and whoever gets there first, wins.
2) You can't flush TP there. You have to dispose in a trash can. SICK.
3) A mountain town called Otovalo, is nicknamed "Utahvalo" due to the fact that 70% of it's population is LDS. It is said to be the purest of the Lamanite posterity. It's amazing.
4) 50% of Ecuador is considering below poverty for the country.
5) Ecuador has the best fruit ever, but the food is mainly beans and rice. Not good for pregnant American women.
6) Ecuadorian children are ten times cuter than Americans. In my opinion.
7) Many children do not go to school because they are require to work from a young age. We saw tons of children selling candy and fruit in order to make a dime.
8) The geriatric population is the rampantly homeless. I have a weakness for old people.
9) I got bed bug bites all over me at one shabby hotel in Salinas, Ecuador. Blast.
10) Ecuador is very hot and very humid and very smelly. But, the people are AWESOME.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Our South American Adventure
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 educated comments:
Sorry about your camera... I would die! Seriously! I'm totally envious of you, I would love to go somewhere like that and do something for the people. My SIL is in Africa right now volunteering at an orphanage. One of these days...
I got a text from Trevor but I had left my phone at the grocery store and it was missing, but I am sad that we didn't get to get together on your long layover. It probably would have been difficult for us to drive up to north la from san diego, hopefully we will be somewhere close to the same place again soon and we can meet up. Sounds like a great trip, I bet Trevor was in heaven to go back, Drew talks about going back to South Africa at least weekly...
I am soooo sorry about your camera too, but i am sure it is a trip that you will never forget. nice facts about Ecuador, i didn't know those things
1 and 2 remind me of Mexico. 6 I agree with 100%. Although you should be careful there...you and Trev are about to have an American child, remember?:)
This makes me really, really homesick. I kinda hate you guys for going...
Hey, we're officially bloggers with big news. Check it out...Travisbecca@blogspot.com
Oh MY GOSH! I'm so happy you guys came out ok - so sorry about your camera though! I love love love you - truly. Madly. Deeply. When do I get to see your beautiful face again?
Post a Comment