Overall I really liked it! It's saying let's all improve, you decide individually how you want to improve and contribute more. The picture at the end is a little much but the message of "we're all in this together" is awesome.
I like the idea of taking personal responsibility for making change. I do NOT like the pledge to serve Obama. But if they would have said at the end, they pledge to serve God, it would've been great :) Even though I'm not a fan of Obama I would be disturbed to hear anyone pledge themselves to anyone but God.
i don't see the difference in serving the president (be it obama, or another president,) and being "subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates."
one of the definitions of "being subject" to someone is serving them, or in this case, the office they hold.
by serving the country, we serve our leaders, including the country.
Stephanie - really interesting thought! It made me stop and think.
My intial impression is that - we believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers and magistrates "IN" obeying, honoring and sustaining the law. Meaning being honorable and law abiding citizens. And doing that no matter what country we leave in, whether it's a king or president or etc. Not necessarily meaning pledging yourself to the leader of the country. I would certainly want to obey the laws in North Korea but not so sure I would pledge my honor to Kim Jong-il.
I would go on and discuss President Benson's thoughts on socialism but this could get really long.
However, that was a really interesting thought and I want to think about it some more.
The end is disturbing. Remember in the Book of Mormon when people wanted a King? I'm afraid we are going down the same path and we will have same results.
not to be rude, but I think celebrities are full of crap. They're stupid and uneducated and they should stay our of politics. Was that too harsh? Shouldn't our President be serving us? Maybe I'm the crazy one but I thought that's how it worked.
kathy- I don't think the message overall was for people to pledge their honor to obama (or kim jong-il), but to serve the president (and the country) by volunteering and supporting whatever issues are important to you. and pledging your honor to that, whether your issue is finding a cure for alzheimers, or turning off your lights. (plus, it was just that one celebrity who i'm not cool enough to place, who wanted to pledge himself to obama, which is fine for him.)
and while the president is supposed to serve us, i also believe in serving the country, the president (again, whoever that president is.) i think it is the best way to solve some of the major problems.
i'm not sure what connection you made between the video and socialism, i just interpreted the message as an attempt to inspire people (admittedly people who probably support obama) to get involved in their goverment and their country.
sorry for the novel, but at the end of the day, i have to agree with karissa kay, celebrities are stupid. i would have liked to hear about regular citizens getting involved, not diddy.
Stephanie, you're right. That wasn't the overall "messsage" but having worked in the national media myself, it screams undertones. That's just what they do. There is a "bigger" cause that goes deeper than the moral "helping people", unfortunately.
It is a campaign to help Obama as he has been receiving a lot of criticism recently. It's a great campaign. It will probably influence people to be better. I love that. It also has subtle undertones I don't like or appreciate.
Socialism - that's a whole other story and where we are headed with Obama's platform. But we can discuss that offline if you like. And part of the subtle undertones.
As far as serving the country. LOVE OUR COUNTRY! And I respect the office of Presidency because of our country and what we stand for. I see how you tie it altogether. My point was more to you referencing the 12th Article of Faith, which I think was taken out of context.
i just wanted to say that i know the video has undertones, and messages beyond what is said outright. it's political. end of story.
my reference to the 12th article of faith was more tied to the idea of serving or being subject to our leaders in the way we see best. i didnt mind that part of the video at all. i wasn't trying to suggest that part of the 12th article of faith is just agreeing with whatever the president says, no matter what.
i feel like i'm not making sense, and i feel bad for the hijack. just wanted to get that clarified.
Andrea, you like this :) Haha. Stephanie, thanks for the discussion. Probably a better convo for a face-to-face discussion. I have never-ending thoughts about all this :)
Sara Parr said it best. I am just wondering where all these kind-hearted celebs were when Bush was Pres? They sure left him alone in the "lonliest job." I really should stop buying People or giving a rat's about these celebs. Ok, that is my first change the People Mag has to go! =)
Sara Parr said it best. I am just wondering where all these kind-hearted celebs were when Bush was Pres? They sure left him alone in the "lonliest job." I really should stop buying People or giving a rat's about these celebs. Ok, that is my first change the People Mag has to go! =)
I didn't know the Pledge said "I pledge allegiance to OBAMA". I thought it said "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America".
Come on people!
The understones of this campaign are screaming socialism and it sets Obama on a pedestal liken to a King or a god. It is indeed very disturbing. Why wasn't there a picture at the end of a flag? Or some symbol of patriotism. I will let you figure that out.
Some of you are forgetting that we DONT serve the the president. Any and every public office is meant to be there to serve THE PEOPLE.
I agree that the end was surprising, but I don't necessarily think it was bad. I think saying "I pledge to serve Obama" is a little off...but I interpreted it as standing behind the president, and creating a united effort to change things. The verb "serve" is also synonymous with "assisting".
I loved this. I thought it was a great reminder that the country is not going to change itself. We are the agent of change, and we need to do something about what we believe, whether democrat or republican.
And I even liked the end part, it kind of brought it full circle. The words servant of Obama doesn't sound socialist, or weird to me. It reminded me of the famous JFK quote "think not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Also, consider the source. It's a pro Obama ad. Why wouldn't it ask the audience to support Obama? It's an OBAMA ad. It's asking the people who supported Obama (the majority of this country!) to do something about it rather than expect Obama to fix everything.
AMEN KALI PONDER! My exact thoughts after watching this video. We do believe as members of the Church in being subject to Presidents "IN OBEYING, HONORING AND SUSTAINING THE LAW". Nowhere does it state that we are to pledge allegience to, or worship, or follow blindly, or even agree with any particular president. But we are subject to them in the sense that we do obey and honor the laws set forth by them. To pledge to be a servant of any president, is disgusting. We serve our country, and we serve our God. This video is Obama propoganda through and through, and it is terrifying. You have NEVER seen anything like this in the over 200 years America has been in existence. Creepy.
This video is disgusting and undermines each honorable act that was mentioned. To say there is truth in what is being said makes me feel sick that my fellow Americans can be so easily led astray unable to obtain the bigger picture as to what is taking place here. This propaganda is the same kind of stuff that creates followers, blind followers that is. This is propaganda that evokes emotion so that anyone who doesn’t agree with it is just a terrible, horrible, no good person. Come on people pull the history books out, educate yourself and see this for what it is. A Pathetic, despicable, repulsive attempt to gain support!! Please people if you do nothing else pray for discernment. Andrea quit posting Obama prop and lets see some more pics of the house!!! I bet Logan loves the jungle gym!!!
During the election, I felt many celebrities almost made it "trendy" to support Obama, and I have never really liked celebrities using their status to make a political statement.
I feel like this add was supposed to associate your feelings for the celebrities with Obama, to possibly improve the image you may have of him...
For a while I was sucked in, Ashton Kutcher is good looking, and maybe that means if I support Obama, I could do service projects with Ashton. hahahahha!!
Like the Obama's dog, his girls' sassiness, his wife's style, but pledging allegiance to any human being almost implies entire obedience to whatever they do! Support by always use your own discernment, that would probably be better.
If anyone believes that shiz you need slapped...Those celebs didn't have the slightest clue what they pledged once they left the studio...A bunch of B.S.
i have since deleted my comment. after watching this SEVERAL times and REALLY thinking about it i am totally opposed to it's message. I always thought it was creepy but the message was overall just about service. WELL anything good and uplifting that was said by these people is laced with propaganda. It's unbelievable. I CAN NOT BELIEVE that it was played in all public schools! Hitler did the same sort of thing! I'm just so irate about it.
32 educated comments:
God-like. Let's serve the country, not the president.
I second Sara's comment! There were parts that were just plain disturbing.
Overall I really liked it! It's saying let's all improve, you decide individually how you want to improve and contribute more. The picture at the end is a little much but the message of "we're all in this together" is awesome.
I also agree with Rach :) Lots of positive actions in there!
I like the idea of taking personal responsibility for making change. I do NOT like the pledge to serve Obama. But if they would have said at the end, they pledge to serve God, it would've been great :) Even though I'm not a fan of Obama I would be disturbed to hear anyone pledge themselves to anyone but God.
i don't see the difference in serving the president (be it obama, or another president,) and being "subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates."
one of the definitions of "being subject" to someone is serving them, or in this case, the office they hold.
by serving the country, we serve our leaders, including the country.
ignore the wordiness at the end of my comment...sorry...
Loved it! Love the idea of starting with yourself and then working together.
Stephanie - really interesting thought! It made me stop and think.
My intial impression is that - we believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers and magistrates "IN" obeying, honoring and sustaining the law. Meaning being honorable and law abiding citizens. And doing that no matter what country we leave in, whether it's a king or president or etc. Not necessarily meaning pledging yourself to the leader of the country. I would certainly want to obey the laws in North Korea but not so sure I would pledge my honor to Kim Jong-il.
I would go on and discuss President Benson's thoughts on socialism but this could get really long.
However, that was a really interesting thought and I want to think about it some more.
The end is disturbing. Remember in the Book of Mormon when people wanted a King? I'm afraid we are going down the same path and we will have same results.
Loved it ... and then I got the creeps. You know, during the last ten seconds... Seriously scared.
not to be rude, but I think celebrities are full of crap. They're stupid and uneducated and they should stay our of politics. Was that too harsh? Shouldn't our President be serving us? Maybe I'm the crazy one but I thought that's how it worked.
kathy- I don't think the message overall was for people to pledge their honor to obama (or kim jong-il), but to serve the president (and the country) by volunteering and supporting whatever issues are important to you. and pledging your honor to that, whether your issue is finding a cure for alzheimers, or turning off your lights. (plus, it was just that one celebrity who i'm not cool enough to place, who wanted to pledge himself to obama, which is fine for him.)
and while the president is supposed to serve us, i also believe in serving the country, the president (again, whoever that president is.) i think it is the best way to solve some of the major problems.
i'm not sure what connection you made between the video and socialism, i just interpreted the message as an attempt to inspire people (admittedly people who probably support obama) to get involved in their goverment and their country.
sorry for the novel, but at the end of the day, i have to agree with karissa kay, celebrities are stupid. i would have liked to hear about regular citizens getting involved, not diddy.
Stephanie, you're right. That wasn't the overall "messsage" but having worked in the national media myself, it screams undertones. That's just what they do. There is a "bigger" cause that goes deeper than the moral "helping people", unfortunately.
It is a campaign to help Obama as he has been receiving a lot of criticism recently. It's a great campaign. It will probably influence people to be better. I love that. It also has subtle undertones I don't like or appreciate.
Socialism - that's a whole other story and where we are headed with Obama's platform. But we can discuss that offline if you like. And part of the subtle undertones.
As far as serving the country. LOVE OUR COUNTRY! And I respect the office of Presidency because of our country and what we stand for. I see how you tie it altogether. My point was more to you referencing the 12th Article of Faith, which I think was taken out of context.
(sorry andrea for hijacking your blog)
kathy
i just wanted to say that i know the video has undertones, and messages beyond what is said outright. it's political. end of story.
my reference to the 12th article of faith was more tied to the idea of serving or being subject to our leaders in the way we see best. i didnt mind that part of the video at all. i wasn't trying to suggest that part of the 12th article of faith is just agreeing with whatever the president says, no matter what.
i feel like i'm not making sense, and i feel bad for the hijack. just wanted to get that clarified.
the end:)
Andrea, you like this :) Haha. Stephanie, thanks for the discussion. Probably a better convo for a face-to-face discussion. I have never-ending thoughts about all this :)
Have a good night!
I was loving this - until the end. Sara said it best, we serve our Lord and our country, not our president.
I love to see everyones various points of view! Enlightening.
Sara Parr said it best. I am just wondering where all these kind-hearted celebs were when Bush was Pres? They sure left him alone in the "lonliest job." I really should stop buying People or giving a rat's about these celebs. Ok, that is my first change the People Mag has to go! =)
Sara Parr said it best. I am just wondering where all these kind-hearted celebs were when Bush was Pres? They sure left him alone in the "lonliest job." I really should stop buying People or giving a rat's about these celebs. Ok, that is my first change the People Mag has to go! =)
I didn't know the Pledge said "I pledge allegiance to OBAMA". I thought it said "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America".
Come on people!
The understones of this campaign are screaming socialism and it sets Obama on a pedestal liken to a King or a god. It is indeed very disturbing. Why wasn't there a picture at the end of a flag? Or some symbol of patriotism. I will let you figure that out.
Some of you are forgetting that we DONT serve the the president. Any and every public office is meant to be there to serve THE PEOPLE.
I agree that the end was surprising, but I don't necessarily think it was bad. I think saying "I pledge to serve Obama" is a little off...but I interpreted it as standing behind the president, and creating a united effort to change things. The verb "serve" is also synonymous with "assisting".
I loved this. I thought it was a great reminder that the country is not going to change itself. We are the agent of change, and we need to do something about what we believe, whether democrat or republican.
And I even liked the end part, it kind of brought it full circle. The words servant of Obama doesn't sound socialist, or weird to me. It reminded me of the famous JFK quote "think not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Also, consider the source. It's a pro Obama ad. Why wouldn't it ask the audience to support Obama? It's an OBAMA ad. It's asking the people who supported Obama (the majority of this country!) to do something about it rather than expect Obama to fix everything.
Great ad. It was effective and poignant.
So crazy!!! I can't believe this is actually for real? Do we have a king or a president!?
AMEN KALI PONDER! My exact thoughts after watching this video. We do believe as members of the Church in being subject to Presidents "IN OBEYING, HONORING AND SUSTAINING THE LAW". Nowhere does it state that we are to pledge allegience to, or worship, or follow blindly, or even agree with any particular president. But we are subject to them in the sense that we do obey and honor the laws set forth by them. To pledge to be a servant of any president, is disgusting. We serve our country, and we serve our God. This video is Obama propoganda through and through, and it is terrifying. You have NEVER seen anything like this in the over 200 years America has been in existence. Creepy.
This video is disgusting and undermines each honorable act that was mentioned. To say there is truth in what is being said makes me feel sick that my fellow Americans can be so easily led astray unable to obtain the bigger picture as to what is taking place here. This propaganda is the same kind of stuff that creates followers, blind followers that is. This is propaganda that evokes emotion so that anyone who doesn’t agree with it is just a terrible, horrible, no good person. Come on people pull the history books out, educate yourself and see this for what it is. A Pathetic, despicable, repulsive attempt to gain support!! Please people if you do nothing else pray for discernment. Andrea quit posting Obama prop and lets see some more pics of the house!!! I bet Logan loves the jungle gym!!!
The President is suppose to serve his country, we don't serve the President.
During the election, I felt many celebrities almost made it "trendy" to support Obama, and I have never really liked celebrities using their status to make a political statement.
I feel like this add was supposed to associate your feelings for the celebrities with Obama, to possibly improve the image you may have of him...
For a while I was sucked in, Ashton Kutcher is good looking, and maybe that means if I support Obama, I could do service projects with Ashton. hahahahha!!
Like the Obama's dog, his girls' sassiness, his wife's style, but pledging allegiance to any human being almost implies entire obedience to whatever they do! Support by always use your own discernment, that would probably be better.
You are my hero, one day I will have more than 5 comments on a post. lol...
If anyone believes that shiz you need slapped...Those celebs didn't have the slightest clue what they pledged once they left the studio...A bunch of B.S.
Obamam 2012 Baby, Long live the King.....idiots
i have since deleted my comment. after watching this SEVERAL times and REALLY thinking about it i am totally opposed to it's message. I always thought it was creepy but the message was overall just about service. WELL anything good and uplifting that was said by these people is laced with propaganda. It's unbelievable. I CAN NOT BELIEVE that it was played in all public schools! Hitler did the same sort of thing! I'm just so irate about it.
Post a Comment