Sunday, May 17, 2009

WHAT do you do all day?

I've worked my whole life...a long 24 years (ha). Now, I'm lucky enough to be able to stay home with Treyson, but I get SO bored. I'm not the craftiest type person (though I try and go through phases). I thought I'd be insanely busy with a baby, but, more often than not, I find myself with NOTHING to do. Especially with Trevor gone so much.

I have no beach to go to or anything like that (the fields of cows don't provide too much stimulation either). I can only read so many books to Trey. I can only go on so many walks. I can only mop so many times. SO, please do tell me what the heck u do all day once you are a SAHM with one baby. I'm starting to go insane.

Oh, and for those who care. (cough. no one.) Treyson is sleeping a little better. We figured out he HATES his crib and only likes to sleep in his cradle. SO we put the cradle IN the crib and hope he grows accustomed sooner than later.

21 educated comments:

Ben N Nessa said...

I'm interested to see what everyone writes...seing as I'll be in your shoes in just a few months :)

Danny and Shalayne said...

I am so glad he's sleeping better! Isn't it crazy how much of a difference it makes when they sleep?

Anonymous said...

See if there are any playgroups in your area. That about saved my life. Right now it probably seems silly with Treyson being so small...but being able to interact with other moms with similar situation helps out a ton!! Google what there is to do in your area. I found a bunch of stuff to do here that I had never heard about! Hopefully there is stuff to do where you live! Again, for me having a playgroup helped a ton. I bet your ward has one! Check around! Hope that this helps and that there is stuff do there!!!!!

Angela and Mike said...

I had this same question on my last blog. People responded with go to story time at the library, get a little kiddie pool, rent new books at the library, hang out with friends, play in the mirror with the baby etc. Check out my last blog to see if there are any other ideas you like.

jenna said...

i feel weird saying this but i do not have this problem. sure my life can get tedious doing the same things over and over but lately i feel like there aren't enough hours in the day! between entertaining Q, cooking, working out, cleaning, grocery shopping and keeping up with friends and family i can never get it all quite done. i'm so chaotic. i need tips from you on how to get it all together.

jenna said...

p.s. i CARE that trey is sleeping better! yay.yay.yay. and yes we are so lucky to stay at home with these little guys.

Ryan said...

Andrea... Its time!! Time for what you ask...well its time to get pregnant again!!!:) You obviously have this whole mommy/wife thing down with all of your extra time so have at it little one, get'em going ie start having those BABIES!!

Ryan said...

...Awh the life of a fertile heifer!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This is my biggest fear of having a baby -- what will I do?

But I think there are playgroups online you can find -- I know of "twittermoms" that meet online and then in real life -- that may sound absolutely crazy, but every person I've met in San Diego not church/job related has been online! It's not scary anymore!

Sheryl said...

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhpbYpfxOY (watch, i'm sure you've heard it)

2)i care about what happens to your baby. he's been through a lot. but he has such a wonderful mom.

Tara said...

i ditto the ideas about play groups. see whats in your area. you can try thebump.com and find your area message board, and see when the get togethers are for your baby's age group. you can meet alot of people that way and get out and do alot of fun activities. also, do you have a gymboree or little gym in your area? doing those types of classes would be fun for both you and trey.

another idea, especially since you mentioned a few posts back about wanting to lose an additional 10lbs but not having a gym nearby....try the 30 day shred dvd by jillian michaels (gal from the biggest loser). the dvd is only 8 bucks on amazon. alot of my friends did it after baby (at home during naptime) and lost the weight in record time and got in fantastic shape--all while at home. i just ordered mine yesterday...

good luck, i know how it is...

Lindsey S. said...

Ready for number two?! I acutally started thinking I was ready for another one but the more active Bailey is becoming the less I think so. Soon enough Trey will keep you more and more busy the more interaction he wants and the more he gets moving. Bailey cried for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I walked out of a room. She has moments she really wants attention and playtime. So I drop what I'm doing and play with her. I'd so much rather play with her then laundry! haha
I'm not too crafty myself, but somehow don't have much spare time.

P.S. I'm happy you got to spend some time with Trevor. James starts work tomorrow. It's the normal 9 - 5. It's been nice to have him around this last week with no school or work. We went to the grocery store the other day too and it was so weird having him with me. I liked it though! The summer will be nice. Until school starts again...

Drew and Kat said...

Have another baby? or two? jk...Hmmm...develop some sort of talent. Start learning to play the piano (if you don't already), become a gourmet cook, take a class in something you would like (cake decorating, quilting??!) I think you should try writing the book you talked about on your blog forever ago for college girls, you would be so great at that!

Mrs. Ponder said...

Lots of great ideas. I like the idea of one new thing a day:
schedule Wednesdays for your lunch with a friend---maybe someone elderly who needs to get out. Move that piano back in the house and perfect that talent again. Somethings I have slated to do: learn to decorate cakes (with fondant!) quilt, sew, make a gourmet meal, visit someplace new--even if it seems lame.....

Anna said...

Everyone pretty much has said it all, I didnt think I was to crafty until I got obsessed with thrift store shopping and redoing furniture and things that I find. I love decorating and re-decorating my house. I just cart CC along to the stores and then come home and work on projects. but definitely getting together with other moms is the best!

Cathy said...

Ok so, I call Tofer "little buddy" all the time for some reason and yesterday I called Kris that (hhaha), so I'm thinking I need more adult conversation :)

When you are chillin around the house doin whatever when he sleeps you can have books on tape playing in the background (or conference talks - love them). I also suggest you write that book you used to talk about (very daunting but just start with an outline of chapter topics and then go from there).

Pick up a new hobby you've always wanted to try. My sister did the Gymboree music classes with her son and he loved those. Lots of baby-type classes out there where you can meet moms. Just hanging out at a local park, you'll meet lots of moms around the playground (and weirdos, there are always weirdos at parks for some reason). You could START a playgroup. My sister did that in her neighborhood and it turned into a huge hit (and great missionary opp - she's in chicago).

When my mom had us she would do "alphabet days" and start with A and then do something that day that started with A and then B the next day and so on...haha..so we could learn the alphabet. She'd take us to playgrounds with flash cards and make us memorize our multiplication tables while we played - haha. Obviously the babies are too young for that but anyway, just some thoughts.

The Callens said...

We do bubbles, dance to music, play in front of mirrors (especially with songs with hand motions, like wheels on the bus), took tours of the house explaining what everything is, playmat when he was that age and then an exersaucer, library time (even just to watch other kids), find someone who is also at home and hangout with them (you would be suprised how many other SAHM would love to have adult company, even if you don't really talk), I am learning how to sew, it's still cold here but we found an indoor pool. Really the age Treyson is at enjoy doing the things you want to do still because alot sooner than you think he will be all over and you really have to do what he wants.

Michelle and Tyler said...

Andrea please enjoy the feeling of being bored! This year has been a whirlwind of craziness for me and my only wish was to remember what it feels like to have nothing to do! Embrace it! It wont last long!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Haha. I laugh because I used to feel this way too. I think it must be the age Treyson is at. I used to have time to scrapbook, clean everything, make dinner, etc. Now it's all about entertaining Kyle, not ME! Everything is about him all day long until bed time and then I crash. My ward has a playgroup that I go to every week and then I usually get together with someone on my own every week too because I have to get out to entertain him! I think it's because he can walk. Enjoy being bored. I miss those days...

Brooke Wilkins said...

it is hard, believe me. But you just have to find some friends with kids the same age and get together and do stuff. We go to each other's houses and do lunch or whatever. But it can be no fun at all!

Jamie said...

I was extremely worried about this prior to having Bryson. Like you, I'm more of a busy-body type...I HATE to be stuck inside all day!

When Dan started his investment banking job Bryson was only 6 months old, we had just moved to San Francisco and Dan never came home before 11:00 or 12:00 at night (at the earliest). I definitely felt b.o.r.e.d. So, I found a job on Craigslist nannying another little boy, who was Bryson's age. He lived in a different party of the city, so I got to get out of my own apartment and experience the hippy culture of the Haight/Ashbury neighborhood two days a week. It felt great to have something on the calendar while making some extra spending cash.

The other thing that was great for me was belonging to a gym. I started going to 24 hour when Bry was 7 weeks old. They had this phenomenal mommy and me pilates class where we actually got to bring our baby rather than sticking them in the germ-infested child care. It helped me lose the baby weight and feel human again. I always looked forward to Monday and Wednesday mornings.

Another thing: My goal from day one, was to always shower, get dressed, and put make-up on. It sounds ridiculous, but it definitely helped me. When you are dressed and ready for the day you have more self-confidence and you feel more inclined to get out and have an adventure.

Wow, this is really long. One last thing...the baby stage passes so fast (too fast) and soon Treyson will be Bryson's age and you'll be able to visit the firestation, local museums, participate in playgroups, etc. Like someone else mentioned, take full advantage of Treyson's portability now and go to the mall and restaurants and all the stuff that becomes more challenging with a toddler.

Sorry this is a novel. Good luck Andrea!