This week, and the next two are INSANE. finding a house. moving. logan here. starting high school. county fair. em and ry in town. trip to utah. state fair. mom and sis in town. trip to kansas. we hardly have room to breathe and I LOVE IT!!!!!!
That being said, no time to blog.
Except about this:
Treyson will not nurse or even drink from a bottle. The child is apparently on hunger strike. I try to nurse him as often as possible. I've tried to take him off solids and get him to nurse more. I've tried a bottle. I've tried a tippie cup. I've seriously tried everything - or so it feels. He's only drinking about 16 oz. a DAY. His poop is hard as rocks. It's almost as though he hates milk. (and no, I'm not eating/drinking anything wierd)
BUT he is NOT fussy. He is totally smiley and happy and content and sleeping all night still.
I. don't. get. it.
and, now it's a battle to keep my supply up.
ANY ADVICE FROM ANY MOMS?
I'm so frustrated and can't find any info anywhere.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Baby Advice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 educated comments:
no advice. we're struggling here too. funny you should post this.
have fun with your fam! jealous to say the least.
Ryan refused to drink from a traditional sippy cup, but he will drink from the sippy cups with a straw. That doesn't answer your supply problem, but maybe it will help Treyson will get some more fluids! Good luck!
Is he teething? Sometimes that may affect their eating. The good news is, is that he's over 6 months. Which means that if he doesn't eat his normal amount of food for a couple of days even a week, he's not going to die. I had the same problem with Claira at 7 1/2 months. First she was disinterested in breastfeeding, I persisted, she almost bit my nipple off... watch out ;) I pumped and continued to take any opportunity and nourish her in any way I could.. which included just giving her solids as well. Mixing breastmilk with rice cereal, etc. This strike went on for 2 weeks. Eventually she got over it, unfortunately, my milk supply just wasn't the same (even after pumping). I had to take fenugreek to help the supply.. we just gave up completely by the time she was 9 months. Also, you can call his doctor and ask to go in for a "weight check" if it persists. Then at least you'll know if he's loosing weight and also have the re-assurance from a professional as to whether or not there is anything to worry about. And if there is, they can help you figure it out. Good luck with all your business and new beginnings! You are one brave girl to take on a hormonal teenager..lol ;) I actually lived with my parents while pregnant with my daughter and my husband was of course away for a year. Anyway, I got to hang out with my little bro who was a Junior in HS and we got really close, so, I bet it will be fun ;) k.. done with my novel ;)
I have no good advice. I'm thinking I'll be needing alot soon, like within the next two weeks.
I refused to drink milk, when I was done with the boob, I still hate it. My mom would put milk & mix it with grape juice in a bottle. How disgusting is that?, but I guess I liked my Purple Cow. Try mixing milk with something. Chocolate? J/K, I'll be an AWESOME mother!
If you aren't already taking them, fenugreek is a great milk supply booster... you can get it at walmart. That way while he is trying to decide what he wants you can still keep up your end of the deal.
Love the new blog format! Cute.
Keep pumping until you figure out what he is up to. In the meantime, buy him a Big Mac.
im definitely not breastfeeding so any advice i give will not be good advice.. haha oh and that I have never been a mom dis=qualifies me all together... sorry sister. but hey props to you for breastfeeding!!!
I am sorry! The only thing is that sometimes babies go through growth spurts and then droughts, that is all that I can think of! If he's happy he's fine. He will let you know if he's not happy and needs to eat more. Have you been giving him more solid food? Some babies just love solid food more!
You have to let me know when you are going to be in Utah!! We'll have to do lunch or something! And I haven't got the slightest clue on what to do...Caleb never did that! Now on the other hand...he'd rather play then eat!
K so Tofer got ticked when I tried to feed him his bottle the other day for a day or two. Then whaddya know, two little teeth came in. His bottom two front teeth. I think it had to do with the gnawing/sucking motion on the nipple, bothering his gums and he didn't like it. But when I fed him solids he snarfed them down so he was definitely hungry. Sounds like he might be teething.
Landen totally did the same thing! He's weaned himself off of everything. I finally started mixing half formula and half whole milk to get him to take it, plus I had to keep it really warm or he for sure wouldn't take it! I would give him some more time. It might just be a phase, especially if he seems content about it! You can always offer him other things to drink if you're worried about constipation, like baby juice or even water. Landen also prefers drinking out of a straw. It's hard to know what they want, but usually trial and error works :). They develop such strong opinions for such small people! Just try different things and he'll let you know what he prefers! Hang in there, it freaked me out when Landen stopped drinking as much too, but it's a pretty normal thing for them to become more interested in food.
I have no adivice, sorry! I would maybe call the doctor if you haven't yet. Because maybe it's ok. I have no idea if it really is or not. You would think he would need it though so I don't know. Prun juice might help with the consipation. And I stopped fedding Bailey rice cereal and things with iron for just a few days and it totally helped her poopling. Just stuck with fruits and veggis. Sorry!
Wow I just read my comment "prun" and poopling.... haha
Pump that booby juice!!! Freeze it to save money. The kid will come around sooner or later and you will have a surplus!!;) I found a house for you in KC. Call it a parma vacation retreat......http://kansascity.craigslist.org/zip/1338813549.html
This happened to my friend and her baby at about the same time! She got so worried (for obvious reasons), but her daughter never really went back to nursing - she did eventually start drinking from a sippy cup, but I think was after about 1 month!!! Hang in there...if he is happy and still growing (not loosing too much weight) he is probably fine...I know that is definitely easier said than felt because I know I would be dying!
Why is your blog header so cute. Tell me how or I am going to sneak Treyson treats so he will never want to leave me. Oh wait, I am going to do that anyway.
Hmmm... good idea. Have you tried giving Treyson liquids that are sweet?
There is also herbal tea that helps promote milk supply. It has that fenugreek stuff in it. Mix it with honey and it tastes great.
this may sound like a very obvious and stupid question, but have you tried calling your doctor and asked him/her?
wow, i'm late in responding and somebody may have already said this but i'm not going to read all 18 comments! anyway, miles was doing this a few weeks ago. he's eating solids like a CHAMP now and still taking the bottle but he started to slow down wanting the bottle. i finally figured out that since he's getting more solids now he just doesn't need to eat as often. so maybe try holding trey off a little longer than normal (4 hrs instead of 3 hrs, for example) and see if he'll eat more. just a thought.
through all my nanny years, i have found this to be pretty darn common around 7 months or so. alot of the babies i watched did the same exact thing (refusing a bottle-but happy). the straw sippy cups were pretty successful.
Post a Comment