I think it's funny how there are so many jokes about Utah, and so many people sort of "despise" the state. Okay, I get it. I get the mormon bubble jokes.
BUT, I don't agree. I LOVE UTAH! I have met some of the most interesting people in my life there! I didn't feel like it was a bubble at all. Maybe I just have cool friends.....
anyway.
We're headed to Utah. I love Utah. I love Zupas. I love Down East home section. I love Costa Vida. I love Gateway. I love the Rack. I love the mountains and the hiking and the waterfalls. I love the houses on the hills. I love BYU. provo. everything having to do with my years there.
I can still remember meeting Trevor my freshman year. Heleman Halls. Stover Hall basketball court. (and in case you care, he doesn't even remember meeting ME! go figure.) I had a boyfriend. He had a girlfriend. But, don't you worry, I remember how hot he was. too hot for me.
I still walk in front of King Henry and remember the confusing sophomore year of #64, as I pined away for "my" missionary while conveniently dating certain Rugby players. (Hey, a marriage came out of my drama. Right Jules?)
I can smile looking at Santa B. The best place to live. ever. the place where my best friend left me for eighteen months. Freaking Poland. the place where i had the best roomies in the world (love u lish). the place where I grew the most.
I drive down University Condos and remember "re" meeting Trevor. Stupid facebook flirty messages (yes, we were lame...and yes, I have those convos saved STILL) leading to lavish dates (Those Roche boys could DATE) leading to talk of marriage after a month (okay. stereotype me. do it) leading to a wedding 11 months later. Oh how I love him
how I love Utah.
What is YOUR favorite Provo memory?
(And for those who never lived in Provo. You missed out. ;)
Friday, August 28, 2009
Utah Evokes Memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 educated comments:
I love Utah too! And we currently ARE a Provo memory, since we're back for law school.
This isn't my favorite, but one of my most memorable is Graham trying to teach me to drive a stick shift in the Provo HS parking lot and me freaking out because there were so many cars at that intersection. I chickened out and started crying. Nice, huh?
Oh...and cheesefries. Oh how I missed my cheesefries.
I actually like Utah too. I miss Kneaders all you can eat french toast. Best stuff ever. I miss football games and basketball games. I miss the canyons during the fall with the leaves changing color.
I loved my years at BYU...
i cant completely relate...but...i dated a mormon guy for a number of years and we did the long distance thing while he attended byu.
so, i flew there to visit him on a number of occasions. i remember hearing horrid things about provo and utah before i went for my first time. i got there and was pleasantly surprised. i actually loved it. it was beautiful. it was refreshing. everyone was alot of fun.
i started visiting more often, because i just wanted to be there. i liked it more than home. i was flying up at least every month. i loved the seasons. the football games. the mountains. you name it. i havent been in years. im trying to convince hubs to take me to park city one of these days. i really miss it there. he is against the idea cuz he thinks he will be "attacked my mormons trying to get him to convert". sigh.
I grew up in Utah so naturally I love it. We're visiting there next week and I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!
I met Brady in Provo. Blind Date. Fat Cats. Totally typical.
Having a date planned for at least 3 or 4 of the 7 nights in a week (all with different guys.. but no one thinks you're a tramp bc they know you don't sleep with any of them). Cafe Rio. BYU football games. the Mountains. Working at Allyce's Bridal. Everything is NEW. Every restaurant imaginable. being super tan all year round and having adorable blonde highlighted hair.
There's a lot to love about Utah. Having grown up in Texas, where NO ONE else is LDS and the highlight of the weekend was your date getting drunk at a bonfire and trying to slobber all over you. Or, a date consisted of dinner and a movie..... my favorite part of living in Utah were all the fun activities for both singles and married couples. I had so many unique and fun dates there! My husband even used to be creative back then... what happened? hehe. LIFE, I guess.
However, having said that.. I'm not sure that I'd ever REALLY want to raise a family there.. I have a lot of family there and there is so much "keeping up with the Jones'" it's not even funny...
i love provo too and am not ashamed one bit to admit that. why do so many people try and act "too cool" for it? now you've got my mind racing with so many memories and i really need to be writing a talk for sunday...
Um you read my mind. I was mostly married in Provo because I got married right after freshman year. I love it. I have too many memories to even count, first married apartment, first baby, ok I might even be gettin a little misty about it right now. Provo will always be so so so special to me, no joke I love it more than anything!
I still remember moving to Provo for BYU from Georgia (one of the many states my parents moved me to) and hearing the radio over the loud speaker in Smith's and someone was talking about Relief Society...on the radio. I was dumbfounded. Having come from the bible belt in high school where people thought we *literally* baptized dead people you have no idea what a magical place Provo was for me.
Better than any Disneyland could ever be for a child. I'm SERIOUS! I couldn't even pick a favorite memory from John Hall to KBYU to the MTC. I have journals filled with all those memories.
Looovvveeedd it! In fact, whenever I smell Fall and the chill in the air I think of Provo. Always. Without fail and I get that magical feeling all over again.
I LOVED BYU as well..
but I have to be careful because I am the only sibling in my family that has been able to stay there! And my husband was there a semester and transfered back..I think it is sometimes hard for converts to understand the whole thing. still is! lol...
For me, there wasn't a better place to be at that time in my life. I miss it terribly this time of year!
I am so jealous you guys are going, not sure when we will be able to make it back! Thank goodness they are opening a cafe rio in orange county!
Enjoy your time together!!! Your trip is much deserved! =)
amen. i'm FROM provo though so.....of course i agree :)
so envious that you are there.
I have to admit, being away from Utah really makes you miss it. Especially all my favorite people that I met there. I love you! Most of my favorite memories are with you. I get kind of sad thinking how fast those days went!! Some of my favorite memories with you involved going up to SLC though.... ;)
I laugh because one of my best friends just got back yesterday from Poland off her mission.
and
James and I met in March started dating in mid June engaged in Oct and married in Jan. Yep we didn't even know each other a year.
I was born and raised in Provo and I LOVE IT! Thanks for liking it too!
oh, i totally agree!! I really love Utah. I miss it a lot right now! I think the best is Provo in the Fall...there's just something about it. And, for sure BYU football games! Ryan and I are dying thinking we're not there for BYU football this season. Like I said, there's just something about it! I secretly we'll go back for school someday.
Post a Comment