Monday, February 16, 2009

25 Things No one told me..

Here are a few things I have learned - which no one warned me about pre-baby.
Read if you want....more just for my remembrance.


1) Ignore everything the books tell you. seriously.
2) The week after delivery, you will probably pee your pants a few times. In addition, baby will probably pee on you every changing. So you'll smell like pee either way.
3) Some newborns sleep. A lot. Don't worry.
4) You will be covered in milk 24/7 and possibly smell like curdled milk at the end of the day.
5) The best part of the day is the early morning when it's just you, baby and husband in bed.
6) You will go through 3times the diapers you think you will.
7) Babies cost a ton more than you project.
8) Babies are worth a ton more than you pay.
9) Sleep deprivation is putting it lightly. You will be a zombie with dark circles (and no time to make up cover it) for the first month. Minimum. It doesn't get easier - you just get used to it.
10) Don't put lotion on baby when his skin starts to sluff off.
11) Baby poop is sticky. It sticks on the diaper, his butt and your hair.
12) Those few stitches you get post-delivery. They hurt. For some time.
13) Your husband will become your best friend on a whole other level.
14) You will worry. about. every. little. tiny. thing.
15) Do NOT try on pre-pregnancy clothes for at least a month. Results = depression.
16) Your stomach will look like a 59 year old woman's with stretch marks. sickness.
17) Your boobs will look awesome!! But, it doesn't matter to anyone because they hurt so bad no one can even enjoy them. (TMI).
18) Your baby will probably not fit into the millions of gorgeous baby clothes in his closet for a couple weeks/months.
19) You will hate to be away from him. Even if grandma or dad is watching him.
20) Car seats are difficult for blonde moms such as myself.
21) Your time is limited. Blogging is my journaling and only happens during his naps - when I'm not conked out next to him. Phone calls? extremely difficult. (He starts crying. I start leaking. I'm sleeping every free minute)
22) You can do a lot one handed with a kid hooked to your boob. I have mastered empyting dishwasher, folding laundry. Yet to achieve going to the bathroom.
23) Your baby will suddenly make you feel very old.
24) You will start to miss your husband.
25) ITS ALL WORTH IT.

9 educated comments:

Ryan said...

Between curdled breast milk, urine and fecal matter all over your body I suggest doing something else maybe no one has told you yet…. SHOWER!!!!:) I love you, even if it has been over two weeks since you have showered??;)

Mrs. Ponder said...

Love it. Tender. Sweet. And absolutely hilarious.

Angela and Mike said...

Good to know...since I'm going to be going thru this at some point this week.

I love how my sister describes the first 6 weeks. She calls the first 6 weeks the "walking zombie" phase of parenting. I'm trying to get all the sleep now that I can!

Ana Lee said...

I really enjoyed that. Honestly I'm kind of scared of motherhood because I feel you can never be fully prepared. Sounds like you are catching on really quickly :)

Take care!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Amen! I forgot about always smelling like milk. We lucked out and Kyle never peed on us. It's the best though, isn't it??

Sheryl said...

This is literally one of the best blog posts ever. I can't wait till it applies to me. Noted for my archives though. Thanks girly!

jen said...

love this post!!!! i was laughing. i miss you and i'm so happy for you. thanks for all the wonderful advice. I'll make sure to reference it when and if that time ever comes in my life! love you.

erin said...

you freakin crack me up...yet very educational. especially for us non-moms out there, its good to get some inside info. AND your post was very sweet.

Sarah said...

YOU.ARE.AWESOME. I just found your blog and had to ready from baby #1! Love the farm life! My brother-in-law manages an Angus farm here in Kentucky and is a true horse ridin' cowboy! My sister and niece ride right along with him! I love it! I am a new "follower"!