Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What else?

I have an obsession.


My child has slept through the night the past two nights. I have to WAKE him to feed him. He rarely cries. It's sort of freaky. I'm worried because he's TOO good.


go figure.


I need opinions regarding delayed immunizations. Did u delay? why/why not?


Sorry if you're bored with the baby posts....my life has been consumed.

28 educated comments:

Steph said...

there's no way we could possibly be bored with your blog...especially now that it's full of pictures of your cute little son! I'm glad he's letting you sleep at night!

Ben N Nessa said...

I love him and I've never even met him :) Keep posting...

Tim and Jennifer said...

Whaat? You are so lucky! I'm starting to think I had a difficult baby...
I kept to the normal immunization schedule mainly because I'm old fashioned like that. I didn't have time to research everything and there is only so much info on both sides of the case. I know some moms who are totally about delaying, and that's great too. I just wanted my kid protected in the right time frame, and for me that was when the health system told me to.

BriANDaleen said...

First of all, that's awesome he's sleeping through the night...I really hope it lasts for you! Since I'm a nurse, I might be a little biased about immunizations, but when Landen started getting his, the pediatrician did inform me that none of their immunizations had preservatives, which I guess is what they've determined has been the cause of recent problems reported with the shots. Ultimately it all comes down to how you feel about them and what you think is best for your baby...kinda scarey being in charge of someone else!

H and E said...

Wow you make beautiful children! Congrats he looks like the perfect baby!

Stephanie said...

I'm all for immunizations! It's a touchy subject. But I think people that don't get them are CRAZY! I'm sure you had yours...so why wouldn't you have your child get them?

Tara said...

hes so beautiful! as far as immun. i HIGHLY reccomend dr. sears book.

http://www.amazon.com/Vaccine-Book-Decision-Parenting-Library/dp/0316017507/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233807239&sr=8-1

he has a fabulous delayed vaccine schedule and he is a pediatrician himself. he is very pro vaccines, just not all together like they are giving them out nowadays (2, 3, 4 at a time!). he gives a delayed schedule and explains why it works and why its a healthier option. every doctor i have talked to about it and gotten opinions about it on agree with his stance. i would definitely check it out!!

Morgan said...

I'm loving your "mute button" pacifier. It's way too cute! After school I would do a delayed immunization schedule... but talk to your pediatrician.

Alisa said...

andrea....your baby is seriously beautiful! I mean handsome, but you know what i mean. He's so cute!

Melissa said...

He is so sweet and lucky you if he sleeps through the night. My babies have all been terrible sleepers- my 21 month old still wakes up frequently! As far as the immunization schedule... I now wait until my baby is 6 months old to start- and then I don't give more than 3 at a time (which can be tricky because sometimes one shot can contain 3 vaccines). I totally believe in vaccines but for my situation (my babies stay home with me- no daycare or world travels) I would rather let them get a little bigger before injecting them with anything. I also like the fact that by the time they are 6 months old they have a little fat on them. I saw the nurse give my 3rd daughter her 1st round of shots when she was 2 months old and I swear she had to have hit her bone by how far she put it in. When I questioned her she said that the needle has to be a certain length and go in a certain amount according to "state regulations"(I don't remember the measurments now). That clenched it for me to wait the next time.

Sheryl said...

How could you NOT be obsessed?! He's a doll! Congrats to your both! What a blessing. I'm in love!

Mallory said...

What a beautiful boy!!

The Roches said...

I'm obsessed too. He is the sweetest looking boy I've ever seen. No joke. Let me know what you decide about the immunization stuff... you have to teach me everything on know. You'll be a pro by June and then you can just sit back and laugh at me :)

jenna said...

i felt the same way! i was so worried quinn was sleeping TOO much. i even asked my pediatrician! he said in the first two weeks of life they are supposed to sleep like 20 hours of the day. CrAzY! it's so fun when you start seeing more eyeballs though...comes with less sleep..but still fun! let me know what you find out about immunizations.

Mandi said...

I knew it! What a good little boy. You're lucky your "mute button works. Not bad! And as far as immunizations go, at 2 months, they are strong and can take anything. They are over it in a few hours. Don't worry about them. It is hard to see them give them to him, so don't look. They are done in 10 seconds. Look at you getting all protective my little mommy! By the say, I have to talk to you about Dustin Izatt. He has been mentoring me and I saw all your wedding photos on his website. You're famous!

Mandi said...

I knew it! What a good little boy. You're lucky your "mute button works. Not bad! And as far as immunizations go, at 2 months, they are strong and can take anything. They are over it in a few hours. Don't worry about them. It is hard to see them give them to him, so don't look. They are done in 10 seconds. Look at you getting all protective my little mommy! By the say, I have to talk to you about Dustin Izatt. He has been mentoring me and I saw all your wedding photos on his website. You're famous!

Liz said...

i'm interested in what you find out about the immunizations too but i would also say that immunizations are there to protect your children. calvin had his all on the "normal" schedule and i plan on doing the same for miles.

Anonymous said...

andrea, he is gorgeous!! what a sweet baby! take tons and tons of pictures. seriously!!

as for shots, i am a pretty paranoid person and i got all of my babies but not on time. my aunt has a handicap child and her biggest advice to all mothers is to just space them out. five shots in one day is extreme for a little body. spread them over a month or so. just a suggestion.

good luck with everything!

Jessica said...

The Lord has had mercy on you with a such a good baby!!!

I like to wait 6mths or so till their little bodies are filled with mommy's healthy milk (with antibodies) and are a little stronger. Remember, They give the same amount to a 5 year old or even an adult as they do to a 2 mth old.

But obviously there are many babies who do just fine with the normal schedule. Good Luck

Ana Lee said...

The mute button is totally cute. That is so great you are getting sleep through the night!

Drew and Kat said...

He is beyond adorable! I love that blonde! I don't think you have posted enough pics of the little guys, please share more!!!!

And about immunizations, my father-in-law is a children's neorologist...and definitely beleives the benefits of immunizations outweight the risks. However, not all of the immunizations need to be given at the same time and so early...and it does not compromise protection. He recommends working with your doctor to develop an immunization schedule (you can find them online) that spreads out the immunizations so any potential for them to be harmful is reduced...make sense?! He said you should start with the immunizations for the most serious deseases, and go forward from there, but work with your doc. Spreading them out can help their little immune systems and brains adjust to the new medicine. I only know all of this because my neighbor inisists her little boy is autistic becuase of immunizations, and I wasn't sure I beleived her, becuase her son is actually totally fine, just shy. I asked my father-in-law about it, and he confirmed it's baloney how freely doctor's will diagnose children with autism/add, convnce people it's immunizations, etc. However, just to be sure, spread 'em out!!!!!

Longest post ever!!!!

Jamie said...

Sounds like you scored in the baby department! Worth waiting a few extra days for such an angel baby. He sure is beautiful.

Lindsey S. said...

Seriously our children better get married. May I reserve him for Bailey? He is so dang cute. I so wish you lived here so I could come see him. I miss the baby stage, but it gets so fun when they become so animated. Heck it's always fun just different types of fun.

Ok, so as far as immunizations go, I just started Bailey and she will go with the normal schedule so far. I think by two months they are ok to get them. I know autistic moms blame immunizations bu there are no good studies that can link them together. I asked my Doctor why Moms seem to blame the immunizations and she said, "wouldn't you?" She means in the fact that you want to know what did this to your child and you may blame the immunizations because there is nothing else to blame. When honestly they could have been born with it. Anyway, I also had Bailey get a new vaccine called Rotateq. It's for Rotavirus (SEVERE diarehha) kids can get that make them really sick and they through up a lot. They are most likely to get it before they are one. My Dr. recommened it. You can read about it at cdc.gov

It is way painful to watch, if you saw my blog I cried, but she was really fine a little bit later. Just tired, with a fever, and wanted to be cuddled a lot. 2 days later she was back to her normal VERY smiley self. It's hard to know what to do. I stressed out about the immunizations forever. I think the positives outweigh the negatives too much not to do them. As far as the schedule goes I don't really know much about that.

Lindsey S. said...

oh yeah and get infant Tylenol drops. The doctor will have to weigh him to let you know how much you can give him but bring them to the doctor appt. with you and give some to him as soon as he's weighed so it can kick in. It really helped Bailey's fever.

Kali said...

Are immunizations designed with the best interest of the individual in mind or for the best interest of society? Sometimes you have to take a step back and think about what is right for your baby instead of what we have been trained to think is always right by community health organizations. They have trained us oh so well... to the point that there is a new immunization bandwagon around every corner. "Get this new immunization because your son or daughter might get this new strain of blah blah blah." Do babies REALLY need them at 2 months? Or do they only schedule it so mothers are trained right from the beginning to bring their children in to have it done? Pretty smart actually if you are trying to ensure that everyone is participating. Scare the mothers right in the beginning and they will never forget. And then their is the entire autism issue. Not enough studies to know that autism and immunizations too early could be linked ... EXACTLY! Not enough studies. They have not studied it. So how do they know what the effects are? How do we know that two month old babies can take it? Truth is we don't know the effects that it has on an infants immune system that is only beginning to develop.

So having said all that I am not against immunizations. My children will get them but it will be a delayed schedule. I am not a conspiracy theorist and I am not a doctor hater. :) Just thought I would give you a few thoughts to ponder on this very controversial subject. No pun intended;)

Love your crazy sister in law who is going to have her baby naturally.:)

Cathy said...

Not to sound like a broken record...but HE IS DARLING! Seriously, babies usually come out all squished and swollen and wrinkly and alien-esque. You have an ADORABLE baby. I hope he's still being easy on you.

Due date is tomorrow. Zero dilation. No contractions. Nothing.

Cathy said...

P.S. Immunizations. I will probably do a delayed schedule as well. Back in my journalism days I did a story about the whole "Autism/immunizations" thing and while there is definitely no proof, it made me stop and think (about immunizations in general). So anyway, I lean towards the more cautious side but I'm sure if you pray about it you will feel what's right for you. For all I know, there could be a horrible outbreak in HB of one of the immunizations I decide to delay! Heaven forbid. So anyway, just my two cents.

Tyson and Heather said...

Definitely look into it...look at this site: http://www.generationrescue.org/ and check out 'safe schedules'. Please do this! Boys are 1 in 99 instead of 1 in 1 million which it used to be to get autism because of the vaccines.