Monday, September 29, 2008

Spray on Tan

Ever done one? Love it or hate it?

I'm sickly white. Need help.

18 educated comments:

Cody and Britt said...

I did this in high school a few times and I had mixed feelings...you pretty much can't take your orange self in public for the first 24 hours but after that it's alright. It doesn't last very long though which is a bummer. I use Dove Energy Glow lotion with self-tanner and its the best thing I've found so far! The hard part is finding something good to use for your face! Grrr tanning is such a pain!

Tara said...

ive done the mystic tan a few times and it wasnt bad. its just hard to get decent coverage (and not blotch or streak) around the ankles, knuckles, etc. other than that, it was alright. it does dye your clothes, so dont wear white. and you do smell kind of funny for the first day or so...nothing a little perfume wont fix. i woulk try it. it gave me some decent color for a decent price and no one knew the difference. :)

Melissa said...

I've never done it but 2 of my sisters do it anytime they go to the beach. It seems to look good for a few days and then starts to fade- sometimes splotchy (is that a word?). I've used the daily jergens tanner (I can't remember the name- glow something or other) and it takes the edge off of my whitenss. I don't like the smell of self tanners though and when I'm pregnant I'm pretty sensitive to smells. Good luck.

Mrs. Ponder said...

Two things I've been told/know:

Ankles, elbows, etc tan weird because they aren't exfoliated well.

You can't go the spray tan way on a rainy day---it will literally wash off the first 10 hours.

Alisha said...

I've done it before and the worst thing is the smell...I have used Loreal towlettes and they are pretty good because lotions/sprays can be hard to make sure it's even! Let me know what you think!

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Yeah - Listen to Mom Ponder - watch out for the elbows, ankles, and knees. Put on regular lotion to help keep too much tanning spray saturating in those spots. Do not let the palms of your hands get sprayed. After you get out rub in all the spray all over. And I would wait until after the cold is gone - its hard to breathe with all that sutff blowing in your face. I did it a few times including when I was prego. Good thing is if it comes out wierd it usually does not last long anyway. Good luck - feel better!

Anonymous said...

Try looking around Rexburg to see if they have a salon where the employee sprays the tan on. They have a few here in town and my friend loves it. I am totally going to go when I am prego to get a nice tan. It lasts for about 10 days or so. I personally don't like the smell of the tinting lotions, and I haven't really seen a difference when I use them.

corrine said...

back in the dinosaur days, well actually just about 5 yrs ago when i went to senior prom, my prom date did spray on tan and all i remember about that night is that he had orange hands! ha.
i think salons are a lot better at it now though :) good luck!

Liz said...

when i'm pregnant i use the jergens lotion with tanner in it. it gets rid of your itchiness and gives you a nice glow for the winter! two-in-one!

Lindsey said...

I've done it a few times before and I thought it was great. Just like some others have said though do it on a day where you don't have much going on. You don't want to do any exercise (sweat) or take a shower for the first several hours afterward. And just put your hands in a fist to avoid getting your palms sprayed.

oh also - i just used a baby wipe that they provide right after the spray and basically wipe smooth my ankles, knees, elbows so there isn't much spray on them and that worked pretty well for me.

Janessa said...

You are in Rexburg, aka land of the eternal winter. Embrace your whiteness.

Unknown said...

You realize that people in the Philippines love your skin color right? They wear white makeup even though they are my color. Sooooo you could just wear my color makeup if you would like to be tan :) NC400 Hyper Real SPF 15. Have fun. ha hhahahhahhaha

Cathy said...

Mystic tan looks good. I've done it. Just wash your hands right after so it doesn't tan unevenly in between fingers, etc. The problem is the smell. I hate the smell. Ugh.

Best thing for your face? Go get some Bobbi Brown "all over bronzing gel" SPF 15. It doesn't make your skin pigment change but it sure makes you look nice and tan. No smell, washes off - use sparingly. A little goes a long way. Love the stuff.

Rachel Hagen said...

so are you thinking the kind where you stand and a machine does it? or you get butt naked in front of a lady and have her spray paint you? Well I've done both. Machine kind sucks. don't do it. Granted I did it when I was in high school and it's probably gotten a lot better. But I really like in when the ladies (and I mean older lady, there's no way I'd let some 20 year old, young girl my age do that to me. For some reason I feel more comfortable with a motherly figure seeing in my birthday suit). I actually do it a lot during the summer. I'm scared to death of premature wrinkling. Vain. I know, but whatever.

Rachel Hagen said...

Aaaannnnddd I have more to say on this subject, sorry. You don't have to go in naked, it's whatever you feel comfortable in. IF you're looking for a good self-tanner my spa offers a bottle called SUN. And it's Amazing. Hands down the best kind of self tanner. It's about $30 a bottle, so kind of pricey but well worth it. Good luck, let me know what you do and how you like it.

Angela and Mike said...

Yeah, the whole pregnant thing makes it difficult to tan...better for your skin though! haha. I'm going with the "I'm going to be really white" approach. It's cheap and very easy to maintain :) Also...I hope you run outside enough to get just a LITTLE color...it warms up in Vegas earlier than it does in Idaho though.

Maybe our boys can be best buds at BYU!

Lindsey S. said...

James always laughs because I always talk about how white I am and I hate it. He thinks it's "silly" to try being tan but I don't. You just feel better and skinny! I feel your pain. I've also heard the spray doesn't last that long and it's pricey, so I just buy tanning lotion and do it at home. Just be carefull to not put too much around the feet, knees, and elbows. But for $5-$10 a bottle it's much nicer on the pocket, then I can spend more on baby! :)

Kelly said...

not worth it