***WARNING - WORDY POST***
There are times when I stop and ask myself, "How in the world did I end up here?" It is something I have reflected on a lot the past week. I always had goals and dreams of entering the world of intellectuals - mingling with scholars, each trying to top another's PhD research while tripping to fabulous European cities for conferences. I'm not sure WHY this appealed to me so much - perhaps it is the forever student in me. I always saw myself marrying some sucessful, world traveling older man and living in the city.
Needless to say, Heavenly Father had other plans for me. It is interesting to look back and see how He directed my life so distinctly. Two weeks before I made the final decision to move to take a job and move to Houston - Trevor and I started dating. And now, I live in the middle of no where with cows as company. And the funny thing is, I couldn't be happier.
This weekend, Trevor needed to ship some cattle down to Twin Falls (about two hours away). Now people, to ship cattle, you drive this:
Yes folks, a real life semi - which we call a "bull wagon." I know, I can't believe it either. On this trip, I learned more about life than possibly, I could ever have learned back in Paris.
1) Truckers get a bad rap. Sure, many of them are uneducated and smell funny, but they are really some of the most polite men I have ever met. They always open doors for me at the truck stops, smile and say hello.
2) Eating breakfast at a truck stop will bring you into contact with perhaps some of the most interesting men in the universe. It's so interesting to hear their stories. Just last week, I sat at a table with 6 old rancher/cowboys in a town of 300 (feeling completely out of place with my bleach blonde hair and huge sunglasses) and was amazed at the stories they told. I'm honestly going to start carrying a notebook.
3) I met a 100 year old man on Saturday when Trev was dropping off cattle. He took me in on a tour of his 100+ year old house. Though the house was filthy (it produced a few dry heaves), it was INCREDIBLE. An interior designers dream. 8 bedrooms, hardwood floors, amazing stairrail, antique furniture I would KILL to get my hands on. The man told me stories about WW1 and 2. Showed my relics older than my great grandmother - casually placed on a bookshelf and told me how 1939 was a good year in which his dad bought two saddles and a gun (items we would now go and buy tomorrow w/o hesitation).
4) Ranchers work just as much - maybe even more - than any corporate husband. Yesterday my husband was gone from 6am to 10pm. I am amazed at his work ethic. Ladies, be grateful for your husband's 8am-5pm job. It's not bad.
I can not begin to express to you how DIFFERENT this lifestyle is for me; however, I have truly found more joy in it than I ever imagined - and no, I'm not just being optomistic. I really am starting to feel that Heavenly Father will teach me more about myself and life here than I would have ever learned any where else.
Oh and PS,
We still have no:
Hot water
Stove
Cable
Heat
Internet
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Life Reflections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 educated comments:
It sounds like you had fun with Trevor & getting to know the truckers. I always enjoyed going with Hootie on the truck & learned alot about driving around semis, I am definetly more aware about getting in front of them, etc. I also got in an annoying habit of going down the freeway and always knowing what kind of semi was headed our direction, Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Freightliner, etc., we've had some fun times on the road.
Hopefully, you can get Trevor to leave Idaho sometime... maybe a golfing excursion, I think he enjoys that. You are a darling blonde, and it is much more natural on you. I look like I'm to friendly with the bleach, but I like being blonde better than brown, I've tried both many times. Blonde is more fun!!
Oh my goodness. I just love you and miss you. Can we please have a phone date/catch up on something besides blogs and facebook once your settled in? Also. Knowing you since freshman year I have to agree this is the LAST place I thought you'd end up. Yet it's a perfect fit.
I'm going to start calling you pioneer woman! no hot water or cable or internet or stove?? Ok, even the pioneers had stoves.
wow girl!! What a fun adventure! You really do need to start carrying a notebook with you, like a "My Cow Journal" or something... haha you know your gonna want to tell your kids these stories!!
PS
Do they really have a place in the back of the semi (where the driver sit) where you can sleep and stuff..?? I often see windows right behind the driver and wonder if there is like a little house behind him...
Post a Comment