Monday, April 7, 2008

Life undecided.

Question of my life.

Do I go back to school and get my masters? Spending thousands of dollars, only not to work in the future, yet investing in my thoroughly eager brain. Thus making me a prime candidate to teach monthly enrichment lessons for the rest.....of.....my....life. It is so important that you young men and you young women get all of the education that you can.

"The Lord has said very plainly that His people are to gain knowledge of countries and kingdoms and of things of the world through the process of education, even by study and by faith. Education is the key which will unlock the door of opportunity for you. It is worth sacrificing for. It is worth working at, and if you educate your mind and your hands, you will be able to make a great contribution to the society of which you are a part, and you will be able to reflect honorably on the Church of which you are a member. My dear young brothers and sisters, take advantage of every educational opportunity that you can possibly afford, and you fathers and mothers, encourage your sons and daughters to gain an education which will bless their lives” (meeting, Hermosillo, Mexico, 9 Mar. 1998)." (Gordon B. Hinckley)

OR

Do I make babies? Gracing the world with little Trevors - running around the cows. Naked, wearing only cowboy boots. Destined to be just like their father. (Don't worry friends, my children will be dressed. I'll even bathe them.) Assuming all the tubals and reproductive necessities are in align. I really do like babies. I want them. Lots of them. But I'm only 23 - I too, just graduated from running around naked.

"Mothers have a sacred role. They are partners with God, as well as with their own husbands, first in giving birth to the Lord’s spirit children and then in rearing those children so they will serve the Lord and keep his commandments. Could there be a more sacred trust than to be a trustee for honorable, well-born, well-developed children? We affirm the Church’s strong, unalterable stand against innovations or any unchastity or breaking of the laws that could possibly reflect in the lives of the children.
Motherhood is a holy calling, a sacred dedication for carrying out the Lord’s work, a consecration and devotion to the rearing and fostering, the nurturing of body, mind, and spirit of those who kept their first estate and who came to this earth for their second estate to learn and be tested and to work toward godhood." (Spencer W. Kimball)

Oh, Life.

17 educated comments:

jenna said...

i love this post. i had this same dilemma. up until our two year anniv. we didn't even think or talk about kids. i always prayed to know when the best time would be. honestly one day it clicked and i knew it was time. can't explain it. i just know you'll know.

Kirsten Krason said...

Hey I dont' know you but I totally understand. I wrote a post about the same thing about a month ago. Check it out and maybe it will help you!

Kelly said...

I had the exact same dilemma... I lost sleep for weeks over it. I cried a lot too... cuz it is definitely a hard..HARD decision. School was a problem here in AZ, trying to transfer and all....

but i agree with "Andrew and Jenna", one day you WILL know! I talked and talked with my mother in law who is very well rounded in both areas (She is a lawyer and mother of 4).. after a million trillion prayers and alot of fasting.. we knew...

you will know too... love you

Janessa said...

Do you guys live somewhere close to a school where you could get your masters? I know you too well to believe you'd be content sitting at home twiddling your thumbs until a baby came along. Maybe you should look into school options as you & Trev fast and pray about a baby. In my experience (obviously not in this specific area, but still) you get the best answers to prayers when you're prepared to act on whatever answer the Lord gives you. Good luck. I love you and I'd love to visit a baby Roche whenever he or she comes (and buy him or her clothes so he or she doesn't run around naked).

Stephanie said...

I so know what you mean! Evan and I dealt with this same decision. It's tough. But really it's what you and Trevor feel is best for your family through prayer. It was really stressful for me. The Spirit will tell you. Listen.

Angela and Mike said...

It's a tricky situation...the one I faced was working to help support the family for a while, or have babies. I've now working 2 years and I'm glad that I did...but I'm feeling like I'm ready to move on to the next phase. Unfortunately it's a different decision for every indiviual. Good luck!

jenna said...

congrats on the win.

Rachel Hagen said...

I think we've all had this major dilemma. One piece of advice: don't have a baby because you're bored. Good luck with the decision, we'll guess we'll know in about nine months what you decide...

Mandi said...

BABIES! You'll love getting fat!

Mrs. Ponder said...

DO BOTH!!!! You'll have great kids cause their momma will be very smart and will have exercised her brain to bless the world. NEVER stop going to school. Learning is a life-long process. Plan for tomorrow and live for today. (you already knew what I'd say, didn't you?)

Anna said...

I say do both!!!

Brooke Wilkins said...

I love a sweet baby!

Drew and Kat said...

Hmmmm, here's my opinion for what it's worth!=)

so I am graduating with the Master's in a few months...and at the beginning, it's great, you start out with all this ambition and two years doesn't seem that bad. But then, it gets old, and unless you REALLY have a passion for what you are studying, and REALLY want the Master's degree, it can be hard to push yourself through the rough times...as it's obviously harder than the bachelor's. I think it would be harder to do it just for the sake of having it. I hope that wasn't too harsh! =)

I remember when I was trying to decide if I should get mine, and I remember that I REALLY had to figure out WHY I wanted it...I had to make sure it wasn't just for the pride of having it, and that it was REALLY what was right for me.

and...I have really no experience with deciding to have children, so I don't have anything on that one! =) Except I have seen pics of Trev when he was little, and he was SUPER cute!! You will have WAY CUTE kids!

jenna said...

post now!

Lacey said...

You can do both! People do that all the time. Kids are great, hard work but there's nothing like it. Keep doing the school thing too, I totally regret not going further with my schooling so I'm still working on it. But there's no reason you can't do both.

Becky said...

yep yep, been there, done that! one thing that was comforting to know is that you can do all of the above - but you dont necessarily have to do them all at the same time. if you aren't gung-ho about kids then dont do that until you guys are really wanting them. you'll know when you want to because you'll just know (does that even make sense?). i assumem its the same with grad school. always thought id go right away and work, but it just didnt feel right nor was it really an option for where we're living. you'll just know, but make sure its something you WANT to do rather than know you should do. make sense???

Melissa said...

What a hard question. I decided to have babies pretty soon after I was married because I was older (25 is older if you are LDS- right? It only left me with 10 good childbearing years). I would like to finish my education, but I'm not going to try and juggle that with babies because they are little for such a short time and I have lots of years that I can go to school after they are grown. Whatever you decide- just make it a matter of prayer.