Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Breastfeeding Advice?

Breastfeeding continues to throw me some curve balls. My milk has been FINE. Then, today, it's SO low. I do NOT understand why! I'm drinking/eating etc. I don't get it.
Someone shed some light on me. I'm frustrated and Trey's hungry.

8 educated comments:

Liz said...

i know i've already told you my thing. i hope you figure it out and that it works well for you! it can be so hard.

Cathy said...

You can imagine I've read a lot about this. I can't think of why you might not have as much HOWEVER to get MORE milk, they say you can pump in between feedings and apparently eating oatmeal helps (lactation specialist told me that). Not to mention, if you REALLY want to boost it up, there is a vitmain/herb called Fenugreek that doctors give lactating women to boost supply. I just got some and put myself on a psycho pumping routine so I'll be doing both and letcha know how it goes!

PS Thanks for your email. I will DEFINITELY be emailing you. Love it. You're the best.

Tim and Jennifer said...

I pumped all the time and never made enough milk. It did help increase my milk though. Also, if Trey is going through a growth spurt that could be part of it. Nursing was the hardest part about being a mom for me. I hope you have better luck soon!

Carly said...

Pumping worked for me but you have to be careful to not get too carried away. I was like oh this is so great and it helps increase my milk supply. Fast forward two days and I couldn't even leave my house because I had to have wash cloths in my bra I was making so much freakin milk. You are so cute. I love that you are such a thoughtful mom. ps- I want to be a coupon clipper like you. How should I get started?

Lindsey S. said...

I really wish I had some good advice but I don't really. I've been really lucky and never had one problem with breastfeading. It's been a real blessing especially after a lot of horror stories I've heard but I think the pumping thing would help like people have told you. I only pump when I know she'll be hungry when we are out to dinner or something like that so I don't have to breastfead in public but when I do I notice I make more milk for about a day but then calm down again. So I think the pumping thing will help! Sorry girl!

Mrs. Ponder said...

Stop worrying. You can't micromanage nursing. And the kid is not starving. Just look at him.;-)

BriANDaleen said...

I was going to mention Fenugreek, but someone also metioned that. Also, one of the laction nurses told me to try pumping for 10 minutes every two hours to try building my supply instead of for 20 minutes every 3. It did seem to help for awhile...but I'm not the best example, because I ended up running out of milk by the time Landen was 3 months. You could also just try supplementing Trey with some formula for awhile until you feel better about your milk supply.

Melissa said...

Not getting enough sleep always effects my milk supply. Try to rest more and let him nurse as much as he wants because he's the best one to increase your supply. He's probably going through a growth spurt, given his age, and he needs more time at the breast to increase your supply.
If you really think you are losing your milk then I would suggest fenugreek and "super pumping". Super pumping is when you nurse a full session and then you pump for 10 minutes immediately following your nursing. That will help your body to produce more and at that point if your baby is still hungry you can suppliment, because you will still be getting the stimulation you need to produce more milk through breastfeeding and then pumping. The worst thing you can do for your supply is to suppliment with formula without nursing first or long enough. If all else fails get an appt. with a lactation specialist ASAP. They are so wonderful and know how to solve so many problems. It is well worth the $50 or so that they charge. Even though I had breastfed 3 kids (including twins) I still needed help with #4 because every baby/situation is a little bit different. Good luck!